Partner

 

Externer Link: Logo Theater Grüne Zitadelle klein
Externer Link: Logo Ratswaage Hotel
Externer Link: Logo MVGM klein
Externer Link: Logo Katharinenturm
Externer Link: Logo Festung Mark klein
Externer Link: Logo IC Hotel
Externer Link: Logo IGZ Schönebeck klein
Externer Link: Logo Plaza Hotel klein
Externer Link: Logo Sichtbar klein
Externer Link: Logo Villa Böckelmann klein

Externer Link: Logo Gastro Concept klein
Externer Link: Logo Hotel Stadtfeld klein
Externer Link: Logo Screen Rent

Externer Link: Logo Elbwerk klein

Externer Link: Logo artHotel
Externer Link: https://www.maritim.de/de/hotels/deutschland/hotel-magdeburg/uebersicht
Externer Link: Logo päx food klein
Externer Link: Logo Uniklinik MD klein
Externer Link: Logo Uni MD klein
Externer Link: Logo Hochschule MD-SDL   

Logo ÖSA 2




Banner TIM für md-kongress.de
Externer Link: Banner Ottostadt für md-kongress.de

 

Martin Luther

The Saint John's Church is closely related with a far-ranging event.

Martin Luther Denkmal © LH Magdeburg
Johanniskirche © Andreas Lander

On 26th June 1524, Luther returned to Magdeburg to give a sermon, this time at Saint John’s City Church. That building has remained a memorial for the works of the reformer up to the present day. It also contains artefacts of Otto von Guericke, Magdeburg’s famous mayor and scholar. Nowadays, the church is used as an event venue.

The Martin Luther Monument

The monument in front of Saint John’s Church was erected by Emil Hundrieser and inaugurated in 1886. The city council demanded that it be pulled down in 1966, but twenty-nine years later the sculpture of the reformer was returned to his pedestal.

The “Trauernde Magdeburg” Sculpture

The sculpture  ‘Grieving Magdeburg‘ (German: Trauernde Magdeburg) a replica of one of the group statues in the Luther Monument in German city of Worms, symbolises Magdeburg along similar lines to the virgin with a wreath used in the city’s coat of arms. Suffering and grief surround the figure as a martyr after imperial troops had seized and destroyed the stronghold of Protestantism in 1631.